Search This Blog For Relevant Posts

Wednesday 3 May 2017

Video Game Creation

In this post I will go over the process of how I make games, and an easy way to start programming and game creating yourself.

I wanted to create games for a long time. I was really into games and wanted to make a game of my own. At the time I just wanted to create one game that me and my friends could play ; perusing this idea, I went in-search of a programming language I could use. I bought a couple of books on how to program, and most of them stated that python was a good place to start.

So I got Python. I experimented around a bit and completed some of the tutorials in the book. However, I found simply typing in line of code after line of code boring. This lead to me putting down my idea for a little while.

I soon came back, but this time with a better understanding of programming. I had searched around the internet for a while and found a website that promised hundreds of courses in all types of programming languages. Using this website's free courses, I learnt about programming in an engaging way. If you want to learn to program,  I highly suggest a site like this.

After learning the basics of how to program, I set of building a game. This is when I hit my next problem. I could make basic text based adventure games, and a couple of simple "collectathons" but these were nothing like the game I wanted to build. I had a platformer in mind, but the results if the attempts I made were not very encouraging. That is when I discovered the power of game engines. I experimented with a few different ones, until I found one that I like and felt comfortable with. Engines are easy to find on the internet and usually are free or offer a free version.

With both the game engine and basic programming knowledge, I could finally make a game. My games are basic, but are a definite step-up from what I used to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment